Wondering which option is the best free form builder to use on a WordPress website? Here's a list of our picks for the best free WordPress form plugins.
Adding a contact form to your WordPress website is essential for any business.
It provides a convenient, familiar way for your customers to get in touch with you online and can help keep your inbox spam-free. Contact forms are also an effective lead-generation tool. And when done right, they can be the most valuable part of your website.
But you might wonder: How do I create a free WordPress form? We recommend a form builder plugin!
If you're looking for the best free form builder for WordPress, you're in the right place!
What is the best free form builder plugin for WordPress?
Luckily, plenty of WordPress form plugins can help you design and build a contact form for free. They have different strengths and weaknesses, so which plugin should you use?
Because the truth is that most of these plugins can create many types of forms. Examples include registration forms, order forms, and signup forms. In fact, the top form builders can build any web form imaginable. And if you're worried about paying for expensive forms: free is an option!
But sorting through the WordPress.org plugin directory can be draining. That's why we're here to help!
In this list, we'll take a look at six of the best free WordPress form plugins available. We'll also list their pros and cons so you can decide which is the best for you. Read on, your best WordPress form plugin awaits!
FREE WordPress form plugins
In today's post, we'll take a look at the best WordPress form plugins in detail. We'll review each online form builder's data collection, form styling, and more!
1. Formidable Forms
Formidable Forms is a free WordPress plugin enabling you to create perfect contact forms.
There's a unique built-in form styler, which lets you match your forms to your WordPress theme. With the styler, you can customize colors, fonts, borders, and more without writing any code. Your forms are fully responsive and mobile-friendly, so they look great on any device.
Formidable Forms is the most advanced WordPress form builder plugin available today, but even its free Formidable Lite plan has an intuitive interface. The drag-and-drop functionality makes building customized forms quick and easy. This feature also makes building forms easy for users of any skill level.
If you're looking for more advanced features, such as building a calculator or survey tools, you'll find them in the premium version of Formidable Forms. These select features provide valuable tools for any business.
Formidable can even be used as a website app builder, like a WordPress directory plugin, with all the features you’d need to create an entire directory website.
But if you're not ready to commit, don't worry. You can do plenty with the Lite version of Formidable Forms, including accept credit card payments online for free!
- Build unlimited custom forms like a questionnaire with the drag-and-drop builder.
- For quick or common forms, choose from a selection of pre-made templates.
- Build accessible WCAG/A11Y-compliant forms.
- Customize the look and feel of your forms using the styler.
- Create autoresponders.
- Get spam filtering protection.
- Save form entries to a database.
- View your entries in your WordPress site's backend.
- Import and export forms and styles.
- Export entries to a CSV file.
If you need any kind of form for your WordPress site, Formidable Forms has you covered. Its robust features, ease of use, and powerful Lite version put it firmly at the top of any list of the best free WordPress form plugins.
The premium version adds many more features. You can create online exams and quizzes, payment forms, conversational forms, directories, plus more. It's also extremely customizable, with more than 125 hooks, and comes with forms that allow file uploads and gated content.
- The most powerful and advanced WordPress form plugin available.
- The simple drag-and-drop interface requires no coding knowledge.
- Customizable forms look great on all devices and complement your WordPress theme.
- Multiple features allow you to expand beyond basic contact forms.
- Integrates seamlessly with popular email marketing platforms.
- An online community for Formidable Forms allows you to "crowdsource" ideas and know-how.
- When your need for forms turns into a need for an application builder, you won't need to switch to another plugin.
- Complete beginners might be overwhelmed by all of the Formidable Forms options.
Formidable Lite is completely free, while the premium plans range from $39.50 for the first year to $599 for the Elite plan. It also comes with a 14-day money-back guarantee to try out the free options.
WPForms is a user-friendly, free form creator. Like Formidable Forms, it offers a drag-and-drop interface, meaning you don't need to be an expert in coding to create attractive and functional forms.
But sometimes, plugins that say they're free to come with some caveats. So, is there a free version of WPForms? Yep! So if you're looking for a basic form builder, the WPForms Lite plugin is an appealing and user-friendly choice.
Going further, this plugin is particularly useful for those who are new to building forms. WPForms sacrifices some of the more advanced features you'll find with other plugins on this list in favor of overall ease of use.
That said, if you need more than just a basic contact form builder, you may be better off using a more flexible, full-featured option like Formidable Forms.
- Drag-and-drop form builder interface.
- Pre-made templates for basic contact forms and suggestion forms.
- Import and export forms.
- Employ a reCAPTCHA field to block spam.
- Link the plugin with your Constant Contact account.
You can customize the templates to suit your website's needs; however, some fields (such as a website URL) aren't included in the free version. Also, the Lite version of WPForms doesn't save form submissions to the database. This makes email notifications ultra-important.
In addition, the premium version adds many great features like instant NPS fields, email integrations, conversational forms, and more. WPForms presents its dashboard in a very simple way with minimal options.
- Simple-to-use functionality is beginner-friendly.
- The free version includes premade templates for simple contact forms.
- You can use a reCAPTCHA field to block spam.
- Integrates with Constant Contact.
- It offers a premium version with some great features for beautiful forms.
- You can't save form entries with the free version.
- The free version includes fewer options than other form plugins.
- Forms are less customizable to keep the options minimal.
WPForms Lite is free, while paid plans range from $79-$599 a year. This plugin also comes with a free trial.
Read More: Formidable vs WPForms
3. Contact Form 7
Contact Form 7 may be the grandfather of all free WordPress form plugins. It's the oldest plugin on this list and one of the most popular too. This plugin is free, and you can install it on as many sites as you'd like.
However, Contact Form 7 is not recommended for beginners. It lacks a simple drag-and-drop form builder, so you must have basic knowledge of HTML to use the plugin. If you forget to add a character here or a bracket there, your form won't work at all.
There's also no way to see a live preview of your form before it's published.
Despite these drawbacks, Contact Form 7 remains a popular contact form plugin for WordPress due to a few important features:
- Many free add-ons (though you'll have to download them from a third party).
- Many types of form options
If you like to tinker with code, Contact Form 7 will do the job. But you can save a lot of time and trouble by using one of the more feature-rich plugins on this list.
- Totally free.
- Several free add-ons you can download to expand functionality.
- Infinitely customizable forms for developers.
- Requires some HTML knowledge to use, making it better suited for advanced users.
- Lacks the expansive functions and features of other form builders.
- No drag-and-drop form building.
- No live preview.
- You must rely on third-party developers for additional features.
- Since it's completely free, the chances of getting help when you need it is slim.
Read More: Formidable vs Contact Form 7
4. HubSpot Form Builder
The HubSpot WordPress plugin is a free plugin that lets you access HubSpot's form builder from inside your WordPress dashboard, along with HubSpot's other tools, such as the customer relationship manager (CRM), email marketing, and popup builder.
Because it offers an integrated CRM, it makes an especially great option for lead gen forms, email opt-ins, contact forms, and similar forms. However, you're free to use it for any type of form as the drag-and-drop builder lets you fully customize your form's fields.
The integrated CRM lets you connect with the people who submit forms using email and other methods. For example, you can send one-off notification emails or even automated sequences.
- Drag-and-drop form builder interface.
- Integrated CRM to store contact details.
- 1,000+ pre-defined form fields and dozens of input types.
- After-submit actions - show a thank you page, redirect them to another page, and/or send an email.
- Analytics to track user behavior, including how they interact with your forms.
- Place forms anywhere on your site using blocks or shortcodes.
- The HubSpot WordPress plugin and form builder are totally free.
- The visual drag-and-drop builder lets you create forms without coding knowledge.
- Automatically syncs contacts' details to the free HubSpot CRM.
- Lets you send one-off email notifications or set up automatic sequences, all powered by HubSpot's built-in email-sending service for reliable delivery.
- Let you create inline forms and popups without needing to use a third-party tool.
- More niche form types, such as WordPress user registration forms and payment forms with built-in payment processing, are only available with a paid HubSpot plan.
The HubSpot WordPress plugin with forms is 100% free, as is the core HubSpot CRM.
You'll only need to pay if you want access to more advanced marketing, sales, and/or customer service features. Depending on the features, these plans start at $20-$45 per month.
5. Ninja Forms
Is there a free version of Ninja Forms?
Like many of the other free form builder plugins on this list, Ninja Forms is a "freemium" product. That means it's free to download and use, but premium options are available with additional functionality.
So let's take a look at some of the biggest strengths of this plugin's free download.
- Intuitive drag-and-drop interface.
- Easily integrate your WordPress Ninja forms with popular email campaign services such as MailChimp, Constant Contact, and Campaign Monitor.
- Enable both reCAPTCHA and honeypot anti-spam options.
For creating more than just basic contact forms, the premium add-ons offer more functionality, such as conditional logic, multipart forms, and payment gateways. Once you've purchased all the add-ons you need, you may spend more than if you'd just bought a more comprehensive form plugin.
- The drag-and-drop form builder allows for easy side-by-side fields.
- Extensive add-on options cover direct integrations that other plugins don't provide.
- Add-ons for each individual feature can become expensive.
- Not all add-ons are compatible with versions 4.0 and up.
Read More: Ninja Forms vs Formidable
Free + options starting at $99 a year.
6. Everest Forms
Everest Forms is a free WordPress plugin that lets you drag and drop fields to create responsive forms. It also boasts being meticulously designed for all levels of users.
When it comes to features, Everest forms comes with plenty.
- Create multiple column forms.
- Enable reCAPTCHA for spam protection (and GDPR-compliant forms)
- Lightweight and faster operations than some competitors.
- 100% mobile responsive design.
- 11 Form field options (less than Formidable and others)
However, like Formidable, it does come with a responsive design, advanced email settings, and editable form validation and success messages.
Read More: Formidable Forms vs Everest Compared
If you need more features, the premium version includes features such as a form style customizer, integration with MailChimp and PayPal, and conditional logic.
- Easy drag-and-drop interface with two or three-column forms.
- Free with a variety of features.
- Only two template options to choose from.
Free + plans starting at $48.30 a year.
Which is the best free WordPress form plugin?
After evaluating the most popular WordPress contact form plugins, Formidable Forms is the best option. It offers the most features and customization options while remaining easy to use and intuitive.
In addition, its drag-and-drop interface means you can fully customize your forms without writing a line of code.
More free form builder comparisons for WordPress
When you're looking at the best free WordPress form plugins, there are plenty of good options to choose from. Some focus on ease of use, others on functionality or add-on options. Unfortunately, we couldn't go over them all in this post.
For other examples, you can check out these form builder comparisons with FormStack, Google Forms, Caldera Forms (no longer supported), and Gravity Forms. There are also other options like Forminator, HappyForms, and Cognito Forms.
Providing a contact form to your site visitors will improve communication for your business or organization overnight. Whichever WordPress form-building plugin you use, an interactive form will give you a competitive and professional advantage.
Download Formidable Forms and add the perfect form to your business website today!