Want to create WordPress newsletters directly on your site? If you aren't sending very many emails, you can send newsletters with MailPoet instead of a service like MailChimp. Create newsletter signup forms in Formidable, and those who submit the form will be added to the newsletter lists.
Download and install
- If you haven't already, install and activate the current version of Formidable Forms Premium on your WordPress site.
- After confirming your Formidable Forms license, proceed to the Formidable → Add-Ons page and click the Install button for the Formidable MailPoet plugin for WordPress newsletters.
Create MailPoet newsletter signup forms
Now that the MailPoet and Formidable MailPoet newsletter plugins are activated, set up a form to add users to a newsletter.
- Go to the form settings page for the form you will be using to subscribe users to a newsletter list. Click on Settings → Actions & Notifications → MailPoet.
- Select the MailPoet list that you would like to add subscribers to. Select the Email Address, and any other required options. If you add custom fields on the MailPoet → Forms page, they will also appear in your MailPoet form action.
- Trigger this action when: Select 'Entry is created' if you would like the user to be added to the newsletter list when they submit the form.
- Send confirmation email: This enables double opt-in. If turned on, new subscribers will receive a confirmation email with a link to activate the newsletter subscription. If the link is not clicked, the subscriber will remain 'unconfirmed' and will not receive any newsletters. Learn more in the MailPoet docs.
- Send welcome email: If you are using the premium version of MailPoet 3, you have the option of sending a welcome email. Learn more about this from the MailPoet team.
- Conditional logic can be used to add a user to the newsletter list only if specific conditions are met. Please note that Conditional Logic is only available in the Pro version of Formidable Forms.
Subscribers are not added
After you set up your form action with the instructions above, new subscribers should be added to your MailPoet list. If they are not, start with these steps.
- MailPoet will not add email addresses that look fake (such as [email protected]) to a mailing list. Are you trying a real email address that has not been used as a subscriber in this account?
- Often the best first step is to install the Formidable Logs add-on to get more details about any errors that might be preventing your data from getting to MailPoet.
- Turn on double opt-in in the MailPoet form action settings by selecting YES in the “Send confirmation email” field. Then submit the form with an email address you have never used before with MailPoet. If you receive the email, you should be good to go and new subscribers will be added. Check your spam email too if you don't see it right away.
- If you do not receive the email, check the conditional logic settings in your form action. If you have conditional logic there, remove it and submit the form again. If you receive the email, adjust your conditional logic to trigger the subscription at the correct time.