Download and Setup
Follow the steps below to install the pro version of Formidable Forms. Before beginning, you must have a Formidable license, which you can purchase on the Pricing & Purchase page, and you must be using WordPress.
- Download Formidable Forms from your Account → Downloads page.
- You have two options. You can upload Formidable Forms through your WordPress admin or through FTP.
To upload through WordPress:
- Go to 'Plugins' → 'Add New' in your WordPress admin.
- Instead of searching for a plugin, you can upload Formidable Forms by clicking 'Upload Plugin'.
- Upload the Formidable zip file that you downloaded in step one, and then click 'Install Now'.
To upload through FTP:
- Unzip the Formidable file you downloaded in step 1.
- Upload the enclosed formidable folder to your WordPress Plugins directory.
- Activate the Formidable Plugin from the WordPress Plugins page.
- Go to 'Formidable' → 'Global Settings' and enter your license key to activate the pro features.
You can find your license key on the Account page in the Licenses tab. Note: If you do not see a field to enter your license key, then you are still running the lite version. Go back to step 1 and download the pro version.
If you have any issues with the installation process, please open a support ticket.
Install sitewide on Multisite
If you have a Multisite network and would like to use the same license key on all subsites in the network, follow the steps below:
- Go into your Network Admin → Dashboard.
- Go into the Plugins tab. Install the pro version of Formidable Forms here.
- Click Network Activate on the Formidable plugin.
- Go into the main site's dashboard area.
- Go into the Formidable → Global Settings. Enter your license key and select "Use this license to enable Formidable Pro site-wide".
That's it! The pro version of Formidable Forms should be activated sitewide and your license should used for all subsites on the network. This will count as a single activation on your license.
Install an Add-on
To install a Formidable add-on included with your license, go to your WordPress dashboard. After Formidable Pro is installed and activated with your license key, go to the Formidable → Add-Ons page. This page will allow you to download and activate any add-ons allowed by your Formidable Pro license with a single click.
Install a Previous Version
Follow the steps below to install a previous version of Formidable Forms.
- Deactivate and delete both Formidable Forms (Lite) and Formidable Forms Pro from your site, if currently installed.
- Log in to your account and download the previous version of the Formidable Pro version from your 'Account' → 'Downloads' page.
- Download the previous version of the Formidable Forms (Lite) at WordPress.org.
- Go to your 'WordPress Dashboard' → 'Plugins' → 'Add New' and then click on the "Upload Plugin" button at the top.
- Select the Formidable Forms (Lite) zip file you downloaded in step 3 and click "Install Now".
- After the plugin finishes installing, click the "Activate Plugin" link.
- Do the same for the Formidable Forms Pro zip file from step 2.
- Once the plugins are activated, you can now start using the previous version of Formidable Forms.
How to switch the license on my site
If your license is owned by a developer, you could purchase your own license to maintain more control on your site. Follow the steps below on how to switch the license.
- Choose the license type you would like to purchase.
- Copy the license key from the activation email sent to you or you can find it your 'Formidable' → 'Account' → 'Licenses' tab.
- Go to 'Formidable' → 'Global Settings' → 'License' and replace the old license key with your newly purchased one.
Your forms, Views, etc. will not be affected by the license change and will still be there on your site.
Download Failed. Unauthorized.
If you attempt an automatic plugin update on your site, and receive the message that the update failed, the solution is usually simple. Most of the time, this means the site you are trying to update has not been authorized on your license. Go to your Formidable -> Global settings page, click "Enter New License", insert your license key, and save your license again. Now, return to your plugins page and try the update again.
If the update still fails, go to the WordPress Dashboard -> Updates page and try the update from there. This page will include more detail about why the update is failing. You will see a long url used to download the plugin. Paste that link into your browser (without the trailing ...). What message do you see?
If the download works with no problem, your site may be blocking communication with our site. You may need to contact your host and ask how to whitelist an IP. The IP address for FormidableForms.com is 126.96.36.199.
Missing Database Tables
After installing Formidable, you should have at least one form template on your Formidable -> Forms page. If you don't, there is a problem with your database. The most common reason for this is you have DB_CHARSET in your wp-config.php set to a value your server does not support. The best option would be to contact your web host and have them update the version of MySQL on your server.
The quick fix is to remove the DB_CHARSET line from your wp-config.php. Once you have done this, the table creation will need to be triggered again. Go to the Formidable -> Global settings page and click the "Uninstall" button at the bottom of the page. This will reset any Formidable settings, permanently delete any Formidable data that may be on your site, and deactivate the plugin. Reactivate Formidable once more, and you should see a form template now.
Please create a ticket in the help desk if you still have trouble or questions about your updates.
Could not create directory
If you attempt an automatic plugin update on your site, and receive the message that the update failed because a specific directory could not be created, you may have a permissions or file length issue.
- Check to make sure your web server has ownership over the wordpress directory. You can also check that the proper permissions are set.
- If your permissions are set properly and your site is running on a Windows server, it's likely you're hitting a path length limitation. Your site's /upgrade directory, in combination with a tokenized key, may be hitting the 256 byte limit that Windows servers have. If it's possible to shorten the path to your site's upgrade directory, you may do that. If it's not possible, you will have to update manually.
No .zip file found
After you download a plugin from our site, you should have a .zip file. If you see a folder with files instead, this means your browser is automatically unzipping the files. In order to install, you will need to turn off automatic unzipping in your browser settings, then download the file again.
Turn off unzipping in Safari
Safari auto-unzipping on a Mac is a common issue. Follow these steps to turn it off.
- Open Safari.
- Click Preferences in the top menu.
- Under the General tab, uncheck the option 'Open "safe" files after downloading.'
- Once you have disabled automatic unzipping, download the plugin zip file again.