Download and Install
- If you haven't already done so, install and activate Formidable Forms.
- In your WordPress admin, go to Formidable → Add-Ons and click the 'Install' button for the ActiveCampaign WordPress plugin.
Setup ActiveCampaign Integration
- Go to ActiveCampaign.com and log in. Go to Settings → Developer on the ActiveCampaign dashboard.
- In a new browser tab, go to Formidable → Global Settings → ActiveCampaign.
- Copy and paste your ActiveCampaign API URL and API key on the Formidable Global settings page.
Create ActiveCampaign Forms
Next the form is ready to be mapped to ActiveCampaign fields.
- Go to Formidable → Forms and go to the settings page for your form.
- Click on the Settings → Actions & Notifications tab. Click the Add to ActiveCampaign icon to add an ActiveCampaign action to your form.
- Give your ActiveCampaign action a Label for easy reference. This label will only be seen on the back-end.
- Select the ActiveCampaign list and connect fields from your form with the ActiveCampaign fields. Be sure to map all required ActiveCampaign fields.
Note: The tags field can be any comma-separated string or checkbox field, where each comma-separated value will be a different tag in ActiveCampaign.
- Submit the form and a new contact will be added in ActiveCampaign. When an existing contact is updated, missing values will not overwrite previously saved values.
Set up double opt-in
When you select an ActiveCampaign form in the form action settings, the double opt-in settings there will be used. Follow these steps to set it up.
- In your ActiveCampaign account, go the the Forms page and Create a Form.
- It doesn't matter what fields are included here. Formidable will send data to any fields you select in the form action settings.
- Double opt-in is enabled by default. You can see this in the ActiveCampaign form settings under Options → Subscribe to a List. Click the gear icon to customize the double opt-in email.
- Return to your Formidable form settings. Go to the Form Actions tab and click on ActiveCampaign icon if you don't have a form action yet.
- Select your ActiveCampaign form in the Double Opt-in dropdown.
- Now when an entry is submitted in your Formidable form, contacts will be set to unconfirmed and receive the double opt-in email.
Resubscribe a contact
If your form is submitted and the contact already exists on the list, their status will remain unchanged. So if the status on the existing contact is different from the status the form uses, it will not be updated.
For example, if someone unsubscribes from your list, then submits the form again, they will still be unsubscribed. Or if double opt-in is on and they have already confirmed, they will not be switched back to unconfirmed.
To change the status each time the form is submitted, check the box to Resubscribe a contact who has unsubscribed from this list.
If you have followed the instructions above and data isn't getting added to ActiveCampaign, the below suggestions might help:
- Often the best first step is to install the Formidable Logs add-on to get more details about any errors that might be preventing your data from getting to ActiveCampaign.
- If you are sending a date to ActiveCampaign, sometimes they require the date to be formatted as YYYY-MM-DD. You can change the date format in the Formidable global settings