Learn how to easily import forms, entries, and Views on the 'Formidable' → 'Import/Export' page. If an imported form, entry, or View matches the key and creation date of an existing form, entry, or View, the existing item will be updated.
Import forms and data via XML
Follow the instructions below to import forms, entries, and/or Views as an XML file. If your imported form/entry/View/Style key and creation date match an item on your site, that item will be updated. You cannot undo this action.
- Go to your 'Formidable' → 'Import/Export' page.
- In the Import section, select an XML file to upload.
- Click Upload File and Import. Your form, entries, View and/or Style will be imported or updated.
Import entries via CSV
Follow the instructions below to import entries into a Formidable form as a CSV file.
- Create your own CSV file or export entries from another site.
Tip: An easy way to create your own CSV import file is to create a form, fill it out and export it as CSV. With this setup, the headers are included at the top of the CSV file for each field, and you can easily add entries.
If you create your own CSV, you must include headers for each field at the top of your CSV file in order to properly link up each column with a field in your form. The CSV file needs to look something like this:
"First name", "Last name", "Address", "Phone number" "John", "Doe", "123 Main St.", "123-123-1234" "Jane", "Smith", "789 Center", "321-123-1234"
Note: If you are a Mac user, you will need to save your file as Windows Comma Separated (.csv).
- Go to 'Formidable' → 'Import/Export' and select a CSV file to upload.
- Select your delimiter (often a comma) and the form where you would like to import the entries.
- Click Upload File and Import.
- In the Map Fields section, you will see a column for the headers in your CSV, one for sample data from your CSV, and one for selecting which fields the CSV columns will go into.
Map each column to the corresponding field. If you would like to update existing entries instead of importing new entries, you must map the Entry ID field to an Entry ID column in your CSV. If the entry ID in the CSV matches an entry ID in the form, the entry will be updated. Otherwise, a new entry will be created.
- Click the Import button, and watch the number of entries to be imported count down.
If you have trouble importing your CSV, please go through the import troubleshooting steps.
Note: Currently, importing Repeater data via CSV isn't supported. You can import entries with Repeater data via XML.
Link imported entry to user
To assign an imported entry to a specific user, include a column in the CSV to match up with the user id field. This column will link users by the assigned WordPress user ID, non-numeric login, or email address. A numeric login will not link to the correct user, since this number is assumed to be the user ID.
If the user does not yet exist on your site, learn more about how to import users.
Bulk update entries
When you import a CSV of entries, include a column that holds the entry id. Then when importing, map this column to the ID near the bottom of the page. Now, the matching entries will be updated with the details included in the CSV.
If you want to export a Style from one site to another, just export the Style then import the XML file onto the desired site. When you import this XML file onto another site, the form and attached Style will be imported. The imported style will be added to your 'Formidable' → 'Styles'.
If you would like to import files from entries on one site into entries on another site, follow the instructions below. Please note, you cannot import files that are protected. For more information about File Protection, click here.
- Go to 'Formidable' → 'Import/Export'.
- Under 'Import' click Choose File and select the file you want to import. The file must be a CSV file. XML files cannot import uploaded files from entries on another site.
- Check 'Import files. If you would like to import files from your CSV, check this box.'
- Click Upload files and import.
Repeaters work a bit differently from most field types, as the database views them as a separate form. If you would like to import your data into a repeater, follow the instructions below.
- Export from your old site in the XML file format. This must be an XML file that contains both the form and the entries in a single file.
- In your new site, go to Formidable → Import/Export.
- Under Import, click the Choose File button and select the XML file that you want to import to your new site.
- Once selected, click the Upload files and import button.
Note: If the form is being updated in the new site, delete the existing form first and empty the trash.
To properly import the address fields, each value must be comma-separated and have a following space. The correct format in the CSV should be like this:
line 1, line 2, city, state/province, postal, country
Once you have a correctly formatted address field column in the CSV, you can map it to an address field in your form for import.
When importing an XML file, you may see a message that includes 'SimpleXML_parse_error' and 'XML declaration allowed only at the start of the document.' This means there is white space at the start of your XML file. This space is added by your theme or another plugin. You have two options:
- Disable everything else (plugins and theme) on the site you are exporting from and export again.
- Open the XML in a text editor and remove the extra space manually.
Once you have a correctly formatted XML file, you can import it again.
CSV import is incomplete
Please see the related FAQ:
Why won't a CSV file import correctly?
Duplicate entry when importing users
When creating new users or updating existing users with a CSV import, check the User ID column to prevent duplicates. Duplicates are often created because the requirements are not being met to update an entry.
To avoid duplicate entries, make sure that you map the User ID column in your CSV to the User ID field in your form. If this requirement is not met, it will always create a new entry when importing users.