Popups are an easy way to get visitors' attention, but you need the right tool to make them. Here are the five best WordPress popup plugins for driving conversions on your WordPress site.
Popups can be a powerful way to catch your visitors’ attention. But they need to be used carefully or they can quickly become a nuisance.
Using too many popups or having things pop up too quickly can drive people away from your website. ⛔ And we definitely don't want that!
Fortunately, there are a lot of tools out there that help you reap the benefits of popups without scaring off your audience. By picking a powerful WordPress popup plugin, you can increase conversions without hurting the user experience. ?
So, which popup plugin should you choose for your site? We've tested tons for you and today we're filling in you in our five favorites.
The best news? ?️ Most of the popup plugins on our list have advanced features and page-level targeting for WordPress websites.
With so many options, you can create opt-in forms and advanced targeting that will grow your email list and still look great.
Enough chatting! Here are our picks for the best ways to make WordPress popups.
5 Best WordPress popup plugins
The OptinMonster WordPress plugin is a great drag-and-drop popup builder plugin and conversion toolkit. Its sole goal is to turn visitors into subscribers.
Rather than displaying generic popups, OptinMonster offers smart targeting options, exit intent popups, and custom features ?.
You can make a wide range of interactive and engaging popups with this plugin. This includes lightbox, slide-in, content locker, and 'gamified' popups ?.
Display custom popups based on individual visitor habits such as their geolocation, links they’ve clicked, or products in their WooCommerce cart. ? You also make it so the popup only appears on specific pages or on scroll trigger.
- Optimization for web and server performance
- Hundreds of ready-made popup templates
- Built-in A/B split testing
- On-site retargeting for optimal list building
- A range of popup sound effects and animations
Pricing: OptinMonster offers a free WordPress popup plugin. If you're looking for more customer acquisition and lead generation tools, opt for the premium OptinMonster service which starts at $9 per month.
2. Popup Maker
With over 700,000 active installations, Popup Maker is a hugely popular WordPress popup plugin.
You can use this flexible and versatile tool to create a wide range of popups, modals, and content overlays. This includes email opt-ins, content upgrades, e-commerce notifications, and even European Union (EU) cookie popups ?.
Popup Maker makes it easy to stay on your visitors' good side by giving you total control over how often users encounter your popups. You can also modify each notification's contents based on 28 different conditions ?️.
- An intuitive popup editor
- The ability to embed pre-existing forms into your popups, including a Formidable form
- Popups triggered by user actions, such as a time delay or a form submission
- Compatibility or integration with major email marketing platforms
Pricing: You can get Popup Maker for free. A premium version is also available, starting at $87 per year.
If you don’t want to build your popups from scratch, Bloom comes with over 100 customizable popup templates. ?
And to help you increase conversions, Bloom can also display dynamic content based on factors such as location and previous actions taken on your site.
- A wide range of popup trigger options, including comments, purchases, inactivity, and more
- Integrations with 19 popular email marketing tools, including the Mailchimp platform, the MailPoet plugin, and the Salesforce software
- Fly-in, in-line, below-content, and widget area options (in addition to a classic, centered popup)
- Fully-responsive forms
- 24/7 customer support
Pricing: You can purchase a yearly license for $89. This includes access to Bloom, plus additional software. While there is no free option, Bloom does offer a 30-day money-back guarantee.
With the Formidable Forms plugin, you can quickly build all sorts of high-converting forms. ?
After creating a form using the intuitive drag-and-drop builder ?️, you can easily turn it into a pop-up form thanks to the Bootstrap Modal Forms Add-On.
Your form will then be displayed whenever a visitor clicks on your modal trigger button!
By combining the power and flexibility of the Formidable Form editor with the convenience of our modal add-on, you can create an almost limitless variety of popups.
You can even display content from alternative WordPress popup plugins in your forms, via shortcodes ?.
- Over 150 form templates
- Support for conditional logic
- Anti-spam options including honeypot spam protection, Google reCAPTCHA, and Akismet
- Auto-fill popup forms wherever possible
- Mobile-friendly, responsive forms
Pricing: The Bootstrap Modal plugin is included in the Formidable Plus, Business, and Elite plans. Pricing starts at $99.50 for the first year.
The HubSpot WordPress plugin is a complete marketing solution that offers live chat, analytics, chatbots ?, and Customer Relationship Management (CRM). You can also create popups using HubSpot’s intuitive visual builder.
Its popup plugin for WordPress makes it easy to adjust your popups to match your site’s style and branding. You can also track each popup’s performance using HubSpot’s built-in analytics ?.
- Syncing with HubSpot CRM
- Email notifications
- Mobile optimization
- Support for various popup types (slide-in, drop-down, etc.)
- Integrations with over 940 apps, including Formidable Forms, Gravity Forms, Stripe, and Zapier
Pricing: The HubSpot WordPress popup plugin is free to use. Plans for the broader HubSpot service start at $45 per month when paid annually.
Our top WordPress popup plugins
Popups are powerful tools for converting visitors to subscribers (and even paying customers) ?.
However, if you don't use them strategically, these notifications can irritate your site's users. This is particularly true if you’re using the wrong tool.
If you’re looking for the best WordPress popup plugin, here are the five we recommended:
- OptinMonster: This complete conversion toolkit enables you to build popups without writing a single line of code.
- Popup Maker: This versatile plugin integrates with a range of form software and email marketing platforms.
- Bloom: With over 100 templates and 6 different display types, you can create a popup that perfectly reflects your site’s branding.
- Formidable Forms: By combining Formidable with the Bootstrap Modal plugin, you can turn any form into a popup form.
- HubSpot: Created by marketing specialists, this free plugin automatically syncs with HubSpot CRM.
Searching for a way to make a Mailchimp popup specifically? Check out this list of the 7 best Mailchimp popup plugins for WordPress.
Ready to take your WordPress popups to the next level?
There are tons of popup plugins on the market, but which plugin is the best WordPress popup builder?
With Formidable Forms and its Bootstrap Modal, you can create unlimited popups and accept as many form submissions as you want ?.
That combined with an easy-to-use visual builder and loads of other powerful features make it the best way to create popups on WordPress.
So what are you waiting for? Get popping now! ?