This section is intended to help you understand why email issues occur and help determine where the issue may be coming from. Ultimately, Formidable doesn't have control over sending emails from your site, it simply passes the information to WordPress which then sends a coded request to the server requesting the email be sent on its behalf.
The particulars of how the server handles PHP email requests are handled by your web host (unless you are using an SMTP plugin or you maintain your own mail server). Every host has their own policies and procedures for sending email from their servers, and since each host does things a bit differently contacting your host for any helpful information is a good idea. A host's mail logs can be examined and should be able to tell if mail is being sent, received by the destination server, certain reasons for failure, etc...
Even though Formidable does not actually send the emails, we have put together some steps to help you troubleshoot some of the more common emailing issues.
- Determine the extent of your email issues. Is your site sending any emails? Test the "forgot password" email or use the free Check email plugin to see if any emails are being sent from your site. if no emails are being sent, contact your host.
- If some emails are being sent, either from other WordPress functions or from other forms, you will need to troubleshoot your email action.
Here are some common issues that could cause some hosting providers to block your outgoing email:
- sending mail from an address that doesn't match your domain
- sending mail as HTML instead of plain text
- having too many links, not enough content or otherwise spammy looking content
- sending too many emails in a short period of time (usually in the 100's per hour, though your host can clarify that number)
If you see that some emails are being sent, and other emails aren't, look at the mail that is getting through and examine that for differences from the mail that isn't going through. Your hosting provider should be able to tell you if some mail is being blocked, and might be able to tell you why
- If you still can't get your site to send some or any mail, install an SMTP plugin to send your emails, or use SendGrid.
- If you have installed an SMTP plugin and have verified that it is correctly sending emails but your Formidable form is not sending emails, go into your form's Email Notification. Check the "To" box. Make sure all email addresses are separated with a comma. Check the "From" box. Make sure the email address in the "From" box is the same address that is connected with the SMTP plugin.
- Alternatively, you can use SendGrid which is a transactional email service. SendGrid highlights the some of the benefits of using a transactional email service in a blog post here. One of the main benefits is that your emails will have a greater chance of being delivered. Another major benefit of using a service like SendGrid is email tracking; you can see how many people have opened your emails, or clicked the links inside of your emails, and much more! If you would like to learn how to set up SendGrid, you can follow their instructions here.
- If you have gone through these steps and your Formidable form is still not sending emails but other emails are sending from your site, please create a new topic in the help desk with the results from steps 1-3 and any information that your hosting provider gave you, and we will be happy to assist you.
Note: Some plugins that manage other plugins can restrict other plugins usage to specific pages. If you use Plugin Organizer or another similar plugin, check that all necessary plugins are active on the page.